Google
 

Monday 13 August 2007

Polish passion for sunflower seeds


When I was a child I would feed my rabbit something that resembled muesli with many bits and bobs in it that I did not recognise. One thing I remember Bosco particularly liked were these striped seeds that were the first thing to run out as I used to feed them individually to him (I had a lot of free time as a kid). It was when I came to Poland and I saw people with bags of them or carrying round a huge sunflower that I realised these striped seeds were sunflower seeds and also realised they were edible (I used to pick out some for me before the rabbit could gobble them all out of curiosity. Also most striped things are poisonous or dangerous so there was a tinge of adrenaline charged excitement as I continued to up my dosage with my increasing courage).
Anyway I found out they were sunflower seeds on my 30 hour coach ride to Poland when only one of these was my food for the entire trip (I got that feeling I had forgot something originating from my stomach!). Furthermore they are an incredibly powerful aid when giving up smoking probably because they are so fiddly to open and not filling at all that people's minds are taken off wanting to smoke. I see people everywhere from bus stations to pubs resembling my rabbit as they battle with and nibble at them. Of course becoming addicted to these is a problem also, it's only a substitute. Instead of ashtrays or the floor being saturated with fag butts, there are millions of the empty seed cases which look just as bad. I gave up smoking while living in Poland and I am thankful that I did not take up the sunflower habit because I would hate the thought of robbing more rabbits of the most tasty part of their meal in the future to literally feed my habit.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love sunflower seeds. I should dig up my photos of ones I've grown to show you. My favorite variety is called "Russian Mammoth" it grows between 12 and 20 feet tall. They are really quiet impressive. I'm always amazed that that huge plant can come out of that tiny seed.

Anonymous said...

Haha may be you shoud have had you known how healthy sunflowerseeds are ! :)

ariana curtis said...

Are you looking for a loan company capable of meeting your financial needs?
we offer user friendly services that meets your business and private needs. with just an interest rate of 2% we give you access to different categories of loans($50,000 -$100,000) to tuition loans to car loans to mortgage to vacation loans($20,000 -$2,000). contact us now and get you loan decision within five minutes and your loan approval and disbursal of funds within 24 hours to any country.email us at smallscaleloans@gmail.com