Google
 

Thursday 5 July 2007

The aim of this blog - why Poland?


Deciding to leave London for a new life (only a year actually) in Poland was something that I did not plan at all. It was an impulsive 'why not' decision which I still do not regret after being in Poland ten months now.
That's me in the sun - 1 effect of being here is that I have become considerably more hairy about the head, which is one thing I must discuss later?!

The main reason for writing this is to hopefully help answer the question continually posed to me both in England and over here:

John, Why live in Poland?

Why come to Poland when there are tens of thousands of Poles emigrating out of the country?

I agree at first this seems strange but the simple answer is that I am not Polish and and being a native speaker from London instantly qualifies me for a decently paid job as an English teacher. (Although I am not actually keen on carrying on teaching because I don't want to learn any more English grammar, and hope to move on as soon as possible). Even though there are very capable Polish teachers of English here, native speakers are in much demand regardless of teaching ability and or experience due to being rare here.
So even though getting work in Poland is much harder and it is paid far worse for Poles, it is not so for foreigners, in particular native speakers of English. There is an abundance of work and in my experience here qualifications (e.g. TEFL) are not necessary.



I hope to start another blog soon about my experiences and advice about teaching in a foreign country


Overall I am surprised that there are not more foreigners in Poland, not necessarily to earn a great deal of money but more importantly to absorb this wonderful culture of music, tradition, food etc. that up until recently (maybe 20 years) was isolated from the west.
That is the reason I am here - and I want to be bilingual, Polish being my chosen second language. Being in the actual country is the easier if not lazier way of picking up another language - I am forced to acquire some language without seemingly trying. Of course I think how much I acquire is a combination of how hard I try as well as how much I allow myself to absorb. I was here a couple of months and could speak more Polish than another native speaking teacher who had been here some years, and that was without actively learning!
(Incidentally I have also picked up some linguistic theory since my other half Magda studied Angielski Philology and I would often find myself reading her books when I was bored).

Perhaps the reason people are surprised in England when they find out is due to negative stereotypes about this country that is present and has not been helped by a massive influx into Britain. I must admit I did not have a clue about what I would find on arrival and had my own preconceived stereotypes about the country being 50 years behind (I was shocked, pleasantly, when I first saw McDonald's and huge Tesco superstores).


The reason for this blog

And so I it is my aim with this blog to improve peoples' perception of Poland and its' Poles through reporting of my experiences here through the eyes of an Englishman, things that I find funny, curious, annoying or anything I deem worthy of a post and hopefully influence a few peoples opinions along the way.
Please feel free to comment on anything I mention or anything you would like me to cover - feedback is very much welcome and actively encouraged.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

John I think you are a very interesting and a bit mental (in a good way) person...I really admire you for what you have done. I did enjoy reading your blog...I'm looking forward to reading more about you and your experience in Poland

jw connolly said...

Thank you and I hope to update as often as possible.

Anonymous said...

Hi
I'm Polish, I'm really impressed that you have decided to come to Poland and stay here...I wonder if you can speak Polish???

jw connolly said...

Thanks for the comment.
I am trying to learn Polish, and I can understand a large amount. I can also hold a conversation (with lots of arm gestures) but the thing I find difficult is the endings - there are so many of them! Although I think I do not need to be 100% perfect with endings to be understood.
Thank you again for comment.