Google
 

Saturday 21 July 2007

Singing Polish style

















Magda, her cousin and myself of course were invited to a grill (Polish barbeque) and although no one ate anything, that was not the point of the party and the presence of a guitar meant that everyone was soon singing away. There are many Polish songs that everybody knows here unlike in London where there is not a strong traditional musical memory that everyone shares. If you start singing one of these songs everyone around you would know the words and probably join in. It reminds me of a lot of Ireland where there are very famous old songs which everyone knows and loves singing. I can join in quite convincingly although I usually wing it and say anything to the tune emphasizing the one word I might know. There is a song with the verse 'hej hej hej' and it has 'Dzwon Dzwon Dzwon' in it somewhere that I know (Hej sokoly). Luckily there was a binder with all the songs written and that was extremely helpful for me since reading Polish is quite easy once you know what the sounds are because it is phonetic unlike English. I sung a song which I know, an Irish song, 'Seven Drunken Nights'. It is a song I love to sing, especially while drinking, because you don't have to be a good singer and it has a great chorus. Unfortunately I tend to mix up or forget certain parts of the song but it is all part of the performance.
I was introduced to a lovely new barley beer. By god it's strong (Look at the photo!) but it has a wonderful taste and I think should be a sipping lager because it will blow your head. This could be a contender for top Polish lager (At the moment I have Warka strong as undisputed number one but I will have to do more research into this particular one, ahhh the things I have to go through to get this information for you!

4 comments:

Chris Hillcoat said...

Surely Piast (from Wroclaw) is the best Polish lager. Mind you, anything but Tyskie has to be an improvement...

jw connolly said...

I have had that only once Chris but I will have to try it again for the sake of this debate :) But I like lagers that are strong and sweet and agree with you about Tyskie. Thanks for comment

Jakub Kania said...

When it comes to lager you should try Tyskie Książęce, not the usual Tyskie Gronie or Okocim Zagłoba.
But I personaly prefer Perła Chmielowa Pils (it's from Lublin on the east of Poland, very rare and hard to get (aviable in your nearest Tesco probably)).

But to be honest you shouldn't drink mainstream beers but try unique local beers, the beers from big companies are aimed at the average client so they taste average, the small breweries produce beer that may be gross or may be great but deffinietely ain't average.

You should try Koźlak from Amber breweries, it's a very good bock.


Oh, and finaly, ain't it time for article about beer?

Czary kapturek said...

Indeed, one should avoid the mainstream beers. I'll include Piast in that. In fact, it isn't from Wrocław but, I believe, it is brewed in Szczecin. The only beers produced in Lower Silesia are the (much superior to Piast) Lwówek jasne and Lwówek ciemne.

Otherwise, any of the Ciechan beers are to be recommended, as is Żywe, Warmiak, Pszenica (that's the name of the band), Namysłów, Okocim pszenicny and Kożlak.

One is also fortunate in Poland (well, at least here in Wrocław) to be able to get hold of Czech (Krusovice is my favourite) and Ukrainian (Obolon do excellent beers) beers.