Google
 

Saturday 7 July 2007

Almost got to lubniewice

We should be travelling to a lakeside town at this very moment. A friend of ours, Jan, invited us to his place in Lubniewice in the west of Poland (map) for a post graduation party by the lake. It would have taken 6 hours or so to get there but it would have been worth it.....beers, swimming in the lake, catching and eating fish, beers, sunshine, trees, tents, beers, kayaking, canoeing, kielbasa probably vodka...... and some more beer, you get the picture. Jan even got a fishing rod for me since I'm desperate to eat what I catch while I'm not in London(It's not generally a good idea to eat what you catch out of the Thames unless you have had all your shots updated first).
Unfortunately we were unable to join the rest of the ex-students pissin' it up due to unforeseen circumstances but I got a feel of the place through a site in English (click on the Lubniewice link above). It's full of great photos and info and there's also a link to another site which is trying to raise awareness of Poland in the English language:

http://www.polishpoland.com/

Check it out. It combines old time picture postcards of the town with space pictures!

Lubniewice is one of the smallest towns in Poland with a population of around 2000 and also offers Polish language courses for foreigners. I can't think of a better place to go and learn.

And here is a picture of the lovely Lubniewice from the above link with Magda and myself swimming thanks to the magic of photoshop.

Ahhh, I can feel the waves lapping against my chin! It turns out we did make it there after all.

No comments: