Google
 

Friday 20 July 2007

It is hot actually



Well after complaining about not feeling the hot weather in the weather post previously, I certainly had to eat my words on this particular day. The thermometer nearly burst!!! I found myself melting and everyone here was doing the English thing of talking about the weather (I felt at home).

What I found quite strange was a hot weather expert that Polsat (national TV channel) employed to give advice to the Polish public. As I was watching they interviewed a black guy and I could not really understand but I assumed he is had flown in from some tropical country where extremely hot weather is normal. However he started speaking.......and he was Polish born and bred!!! I could not believe how this seemingly racist event was allowed to be aired on TV. It is assumed that this guy is an expert in keeping cool in hot weather just because he is black, he might never have left Poland in his whole life and so never experienced any different conditions to the rest of the Polish public, but he must have some inherent knowledge that all black people are born with about how to cool down in the hot sun. Imagine asking an Irish guy the best way to become unconscious through alcohol even if he is does not drink. I think I am used to an overly politically correct Britain where this type of thing would have been controversial and not be shown. Actually it is refreshing that this society is not worried about being politically correct to the point of absurdity and the guy got 5 minutes of fame anyway. By the way his advice was to drink hot tea to cool down in case you wanted to know the expert advice.

No comments: